Your liver and its health are critical to anti-aging. It plays many important roles, including:
- Assist in controlling blood sugar levels
- Assist in metabolisation of fats
Detoxification in the liver happens in a two-part process. These processes are adversely affected by the inadequate lifestyle led by too many people these days.
Liver loaders interfere with the liver’s ability to do its job. Alcohol, caffeine, trans fats, sugars (especially fructose), and synthetic chemicals (pesticides, medications, household cleaning products) overload the liver, preventing it from doing its job. And worse, they cause the liver itself to get sick.
Love Your Liver
What can you do to protect one of the most vital organs in your body? Here’s a list of where to start:
- Eat organic, especially vegetables, to prevent toxic build-up. Sulphur-rich foods like garlic and cruciferous veggies are terrific sources
- Avoid processed foods, in particular, fructose (the main cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, or NAFLD) and fried foods
- Minimise the consumption of alcohol, dairy products, and caffeine
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 or supplement with a good quality fish or flax-seed oil
- Eat foods rich in zinc or supplement with 15 – 30 mg per day of zinc picolinate
- Use environmentally friendly natural household products
- Limit prescription drug intake to the bare essentials, if any at all
- Don’t smoke or expose yourself to second-hand smoke
- Give your liver a rest. Do several detoxes a year.
- Cleanse your liver with milk thistle and alpha lipoic acid
- Reduce stress
As for super foods for the liver, try these:
- Green tea
- Green veggies, especially from the cruciferous family
When you read through these lists, you’ll notice a theme common with best practices for anti-aging and longevity: Practice avoidance. Get great nutrition. Exercise. De-stress your life.